About Jon McLaughlin
Jon McLaughlin has sold more than 170 thousand albums and more than 1 million digital tracks. McLaughlin released his 2007 debut album Indiana, followed by OK Now in 2008. The albums yielded placements on the TV series Scrubs, and movies including Georgia Rule and Bridge to Terabithia. Following this, McLaughlin’s song “So Close” was featured in Disney’s Enchanted starring Patrick Dempsey and Amy Adams and McLaughlin was later asked to perform “So Close” at the 2008 Academy Awards. McLaughlin’s fourth album Promising Promises was released last year and included the single “Summer Is Over” featuring Sara Bareilles. McLaughlin is currently working on his fifth album which is set to be released in Fall 2013.
Facts About Jon McLaughlin
- Playing piano since early childhood he disliked the lessons, and often sought to avoid them. While attending Highland High School, McLaughlin shattered both wrists in an accident that interrupted his musical expression. Rediscovering “his muse,” McLaughlin attended Anderson University to study music.
- McLaughlin released an independent album entitled, “Up Until Now” in 2003. This quickly led to McLaughlin becoming the first artist to sign on with the school’s burgeoning record label, Orangehaus Records.
- In 2006 McLaughlin signed with iconic record label Island Records. Since then, McLaughlin has increased his presence at well-established musical venues and festivals such as Feeling Better Than Everfine (Cleveland, OH), Waterfest (Oshkosh, WI), Milwaukee Summerfest (Milwaukee, WI), Northwest State College Fest (Archbold, OH) and Lollapalooza (Chicago, IL). He has toured with Kelly Clarkson, O.A.R., Sister Hazel, Cowboy Mouth, Paolo Nutini, and Marc Broussard.
- Since signing with Island Records, McLaughlin increased his public image by providing music for the NBC comedy Scrubs, episode “My Conventional Wisdom,: on May 10th, 2007. McLaughlin’s song,”Human” was included in the episode. The same song appeared at the end of the episode “The Walk-In” of Ghost Whisperer. “Beautiful Disaster” can also be heard in the hit TV series A Little Thing Called Life in the season two episode titled “The Greatest and Worst Halloween Ever.”
- To date, three Hollywood-released films have included songs from McLaughlin. The song “Another Layer” appeared on the soundtrack for the motion picture Bridge to Terabithia and “Beautiful Disaster”is used in the 2007 film Georgia Rules. McLaughlin also made an on-screen appearance and performance of the song, “So Close” (written by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz) in the Oscar-nominated Disney film Enchanted. The song received an Oscar nomination. This led to McLaughlin performing at the 80th Academy Awards.
- McLaughlin opened on Kelly Clarkson’s My December Tour beginning in October 2007, a role announced on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on August 7, 2007. He has also toured extensively with similarly styled and popular singer-songwriter, Sara Bareilles.
- In 2008, McLaughlin appeared as himself in the film Enchanted starring Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey singing “So Close”, which led to a performance at the 2008 Academy Awards. In 2010, the song was used in Disney California Adventure’s World of Color Show.
- McLaughlin’s version of “Smack Into You”, written and produced by The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, was leaked to the internet in 2008, but did not appear on OK Now. Beyonce eventually covered the song and it was featured on her album I Am… Sasha Fierce, re-titled as “Smash Into You”.
- McLaughlin co-wrote “Every Time You Lie” and “Falling Over Me” with Demi Lovato for her second album Here We Go Again. The latter was originally a duet, but the final version only featured McLaughlin’s backing vocals.