"If you prefer hip-hop that's rich and deep in substance, then the Lioness is your girl."
– City Pages
Shaiwna Adams, known as The Lioness, is a native of North Minneapolis, Minnesota. Having started her hip-hop career 15 years ago, she has inevitably become one of the Twin Cities’ premier homegrown artist. The conscious lyricist speaks to the souls of marginalized populations by addressing issues of racial inequalities and social justice, in efforts to encourage and empower youth, women, people of color and indigenous communities across the country.
Her creativity, originality and captivating sound has earned her opening spots for headliners, such as: I Self Devine, Brother Ali, Astral Blak, Doomtree, Dem Atlas, Eve, Doug E. Fresh, and Dej Loaf. In 2017, she toured with Metasota on the #BlackExcellenceTour and Atmosphere on the “Welcome to Colorado” tour. She also commanded the stage at Soundset 2018.
- The Lioness naturally gravitated toward powerful, socially minded singers like Lauryn Hill & Queen Latifah, remnants of whom are evident in her style.
- She has been privileged to work alongside a host of legendary performers, such as: Toki Wright, Desdemona, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Guante, and I Self Devine.
- The Lioness projects include: The Most Anticipated (2011); Lost Tapes (2012); Queen (2013); Growing Pains (2016); and her latest, Greater Vision (2018).
- Her 2011 release, Lost Tapes, was an immediate success and cemented her status as one of the top MC’s in Minneapolis.
- Taking her passion and skills to a broader audience, The Lioness completed the Mi Vida Local World Tour with Atmosphere of Rhymesayers, which included a European tour. With her rapidly growing fanbase and mission to encourage and inspire, it is only a matter of time before she becomes a global headliner.
Learn More: https://thelionessmusic.com