"commanding and duplicitous, yet also vulnerable. She has a bright future above the staff."
– Opera News
A celebration of song, performed by one of the leading lights of the modern opera world.In the 2019-20 season she made debuts with the Metropolitan Opera, Los Angeles Opera, Dallas Opera, and New Orleans Opera. This program will include works by Schubert, Grieg, Chaminade, and the poetry of Emily Dickinson.
Jeni Houser, soprano
Nathan Cicero, piano
Jake Meyer, clarinet
Join us for dinner before or during the show. Explore our menu >> Did you know that we offer a premium seating option for those who pre-order a $39 food/beverage voucher? Call 612-332-5299 to learn more and order.
The program will consist of four sets:
1. Schubert (to include The Shepherd on the Rock) – Schubert left behind a vast oeuvre, including over 600 songs, his last complete composition (in any genre) is The Shepherd on the Rock for voice, piano and clarinet.
2. Grieg – In a nod to Minnesota’s Scandinavian heritage, a set of songs by Edvard Grieg.
3. Chaminade – Works by the prolific French, woman composer, Cecile Chaminade, whose life intersected the 19th and 20th centuries.
4. Emily Dickinson – The poetry of Emily Dickinson set by living composers.
- Houser won second place at the Nicholas Loren Vocal Competition in 2014. She was a district winner and regional finalist in the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions in 2013 and 2011 after earning an encouragement award in 2010, and was a national semifinalist in the NATS Artist Award Competition in 2010.
- In the 2019-20 season she made debuts with the Metropolitan Opera, Los Angeles Opera, Dallas Opera, and New Orleans Opera.